Frequently Asked Questions
What are your hours?
Our dispatch center operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
How do I make a booking?
Call our dispatch office toll free 24/7 at 1-866-777-2341.
Please note, hospital to hospital transfers will be booked by Quinte Health Care.
When should I contact dispatch to book a transfer?
Call our dispatch as soon as you have a date and time. We can then provide more responsive pick-up times. Last minute bookings and appointments are a specialization for us so we are well prepared for such transfers. However, the more lead time provided for an expected transfer allows for refinement in schedules that benefits all parties involved.
What qualifies as “non-emergency”?
Non-emergency are patients who are in stable condition and should not require emergency measures during transport.
Why do you require the patient’s weight?
f the patient is in excess of 250 lbs, a secondary crew may be required to safely transfer the patient. Providing the patient’s weight when booking will avoid any delays and ensure the patient’s needs are properly met during the transfer.
Why do you ask for the number of stairs at a residence?
We ask this question to inform our crews that additional equipment may be required to safely transfer the patient into or from their residence and/or coordinate a lift assist from a second crew.
What do I do if the patient is going to pay?
Have the patient or family member call our office and we will take care of the rest. We accept cash or credit card (Visa or Mastercard).
Who pays for transfers between hospitals?
Hospital transfers between hospitals for diagnostic, treatment, or transfer to another facility is covered through the hospital.
What happens if I can not afford a patient transfer?
If you are unable to cover a private transport or do not have insurance, apply to our Pioneer Cares program. Pioneer Cares provides no cost patient transfers based on financial need.
How do I make or pass on a compliment or concern?
We welcome your feedback. Please email your feedback on our contact page and we will respond within 72 hours.
Do you transport adults and children?
We transfer adults, children and infants who are non-emergency.
Do you allow family members to accompany patients?
Yes, in fact we encourage this, as it is usually comforting to the patient.
What information can I expect dispatch to ask me when I am making a booking
- Caller’s first name / Hospital or Facility calling
- The date in which the transfer is required
- A requested pickup time
- The patient’s appointment time (if required)
- If this transfer requires us to stay and wait for the patient (referred to as a treat and return)
- Patient’s first and last name
- Any DNR information
- Patient’s weight in pounds (if over 250 lbs we would need the exact weight)
- Oxygen required and rate
- Pick up Facility, or residential address; floor, unit/apartment, room, buzzer code
- Any escorts that would be accompanying the patient (i.e. nurse, PSW, family member etc.)
- Destination facility including floor, unit/apartment, room, buzzer door code, and number of stairs (if applicable)
- Whether the patient can ambulate or wheelchair to the transport van.